This page last updated: 2017-05-10
Previously known as the University of Western Ontario (UWO), the university is now known as Western University.
Home Schooled Applicant Assessment Criteria
At Western University, homeschooled applicants are evaluated for admission on an individual basis. In order to make a knowledgeable assessment, Western requires the following documents and supplementary materials.
- Transcript of grades indicating all subjects taken and grades earned from grades 10 through 12. These may be graded either by an independent homeschool agency or by the applicant’s parent(s). The transcript should indicate the name of each course or subject covered, the grade received in each course, and the duration of the course including the number of hours and weeks.
- Standardized Testing Results (such as SAT I, SAT II, or ACT) sent directly to Western from the examining board.
- Portfolio including a cover letter, course descriptions, copy of a graded essay, and a resume. For more details on the portfolio requirement, please visit the Checklist for Homeschooled Applicants.
The portfolio details on the checklist are as follows:
Please include each of the following:
- Cover letter written by you including the method of homeschooling you have followed. For example, you may have studied a provincial curriculum at home or another set curriculum such as the Tree of Life. In your letter, you should also include the length of homeschool study and why you and your parents decided to homeschool. In addition, it would be helpful to include your study plans for university and career aspirations.
- Brief course descriptions and syllabi of the courses you have studied with a list of texts used. This is particularly important for science and mathematics courses.
- Copy of a graded essay (any topic in a subject at the grade 12 level).
- Résumé including any employment and volunteer experience. If you do not have a résumé, please indicate this experience in your cover letter.
Please mail this form and all required documentation to:
Western Student Services Building
London ON N6A 3K7
Should you have any questions or concerns about applying to Western as a homeschooled student, please contact the Admissions Office at 519-661-2100.